We are well into Winter here in Australia, and my family has been favouring hearty meals to keep us full and warm. For our ‘recipe of the quarter’ we share a Pumpkin, Lentil and Spinach recipe that is sure to keep you nourished.
- Gluten-free lasange sheets (375g packet)
- 500g Tofutti (or other vegan ricotta cheese substitute)
- 690g Tomato Passata
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 900g pumpkin, peeled, cut into small cubes
- 2 x 400g Cans Brown Lentils, rinsed well and drained
- 120g Baby Spinach, washed well and shredded
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- Good pinch nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to season
Time: 2hrs and 20 minutes
(Note: This recipe makes enough for our family for two nights, plus a little for Mummy Green’s lunch too!)
- Preheat your oven to 190C and grab out your baking dish, a large bowl and a small bowl to be set aside.
- In a large fry pan, heat the oil over a medium heat and cook onion until golden brown.
- Add garlic to fry pan and lightly fry, before adding lentils, pumpkin and stock.
- Stir in the majority of a jar of passata (setting aside about a cup worth for use later).
- Cover frypan and bring to a boil. Once boiling lower the heat and leave to simmer for 20 minutes, until the mixture is thick.
- Once cooked, pour mixture into a large bowl and set aside to cool. Once the mixture has cooled down transfer the bowl to the fridge.
- Mash the Tofutti (or your chosen vegan ricotta cheese substitute) in a small bowl, add nutmeg and season to your liking.
- Grease your baking tray and add your bottom layer of lasange sheets.
- Add pumpkin mixture and top with ricotta and more layers of lasange. Repeat until baking tray is full, ensuring your last layer is lasange sheets.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy!