In February we embarked on a family holiday to New Zealand - and this was baby’s first time on a plane, and her first time overseas.
We share our top recommendations for family friendly travel in New Zealand’s South Island...
Our Top Travel Tips for Travel with Baby
- If it is baby’s first time overseas, organise the passport well in advance - and make sure all family members passports are still current!
- Breastfeed your baby on takeoff and desend - it helps with the pressure in their ears, it worked for us so much so that our bubba fell asleep! Offering a bottle of formula (or some water if your baby is old enough) would work in the exact same way - fed and sleeping baby for the flight is a win win!
- Pack hand sanitizer and antiseptic wipes for the flight so you can wipe the area down and clean little hands before they eat - the last thing you want to deal with on your fun family holiday is illness
- Bring on board a change of clothes and spare bibs for baby and a fresh top for yourself
- Carry a couple of small books and small toys on the flight if you have the room, they are great for distractions
- Pack one of baby’s comfort items to ease the transition to napping and sleeping in a different cot and unfamiliar environment
- Try to plan activities and sightseeing around your baby’s routine if a routine is what they are used to
- For Mum and Dad, invest in a local pre paid SIM card to pop in your phone, this will come in very handy in the event you get separated from a family member, experience an emergency when out and about or you need to access WiFi to find details of a local doctor. And don’t forget to pack your charger and an international power adapter or two!
Our top picks for baby friendly cafes in South Island NZ
- Joe’s Garage in Christchurch
- Water Drop in Christchurch
- Fergburger in Queenstown
- Bespoke Kitchen in Queenstown
- The Spice Room in Wanaka
- Maggie's Kitchen in Greymouth
Our top picks for family activities in South Island NZ
- Hop on the gondola, stroll the bontanical parks or visit the fascinating Orana Wildlife Park or the Antarctic Centre in Christchurch
- Stroll around historical Arrowtown, taking a visit to the Lakes District Museum, Dorothy Brown’s Cinema and the famous Remarkable Sweet Lolly Shop
- Visit the Kiwi Bird Wildlife Park, take a Jurassic Safari of the Highlands or embark on a scenic family cruise in Queenstown
- Stop by the Shantytown Heritage Park in Greymouth
- Take in the view of the beautiful Lake Tekapo and visit nearby Mount Cook
- Walk around the stunning lake Wanaka with baby in the ergo carrier or pram
- Visit the UNESCO world heritage listed Fiordland National Park
Close by - check, stunning scenery - check, plenty of family friendly fun - check...New Zealand certainly is the perfect family friendly destination - especially for those travelling from Australia with baby for the first time!