Being pregnant means that nutrition is at the forefront of my mind, even more so than normal.
Our recipe of the quarter is a nutrient packed, comforting pasta. This vegetarian pasta is filled with all things good for your pregnancy, including folate (lentils), fibre and potassium (pumpkin), magnesium, zinc, calcium, iron, vitamins A, C, and K (spinach) and vitamin E (pine nuts). Read below for details.
Lentil, Pumpkin, Spinach and Pine Nut Pasta
- 100g spelt or wholemeal pasta per person
- 110g dried red lentils
- 1 small butternut pumpkin (washed, de-seeded, cut into chunks)
- 2 big handfuls spinach (washed well)
- 75g pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small garlic gloves (optional - some people, like myself, really go off garlic when pregnant)
- Black pepper and parmasen to taste, if required
- Cook pumpkin in the microwave for 5-10 minutes on high until soft.
- Cook pasta until al dente.
- Add the pine nuts, washed spinach, garlic and remaining olive oil into a frying pan and lightly fry whilst waiting for the pasta to cook.
- Once the pumpkin is done, add to the fry pan and mix gently.
- Drain the pasta and add the mixture from the fry pan.
- Serve with parmasen and black pepper to taste.